CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 2, 2008

Highlights, lowlights, and then some.

HIGHLIGHT: Eleven years ago I never thought I'd be going to Prom again - wearing the same dress I'd worn to my own Junior Prom.  Ryan and I had an opportunity chaperone at Sac High's Prom.  At first images of ghetto prom danced through my head.  I was not looking forward to what I might be faced with if it indeed was of the ghetto variety.  I wasn't sure how this whole chaperoning gig was going to go down.  I'd heard from veteran teachers that chaperoning for Prom was the best dance to chaperone for and they were right.  The girls were all dressed up so nicely and too afraid to get their dresses dirty that they remained vertical on the dance floor.  Our shift was from 7:20-9:30 and I thought we'd have to spend a little time on the dance floor keeping bodies from getting too close.   I was wrong.  We showed up, walked around a little bit (made the other chaperones jealous that we'd turned a chaperoning assignment into a date), ate dinner and then it was time for us to leave.  It was really that easy.  Below you'll see pictures from our evening.  It was fun to get dressed up and relive a little bit of high school. 







I just like that picture of us.  Sometimes I wonder if we could get any cuter.


Here is a literal case of the blind leading the blind.  Ryan and I were exiting a Chipotle restaurant (I will definitely give them more business because they gave teachers free food on Teacher Appreciation Day) and these people were walking down the sidewalk.  Look closely and you'll see that the lady does indeed have a walking cane.  Kind of scary.  They are walking in a busy part of Sacramento too.  Not the safest thing.


LOWLIGHT: For those that know me know, you know how much I loved my dog Misty.  If you really know me, then you know about my dog voice.  Misty was a gift given to me by my BFF Alicia (see post below) during the winter of our senior year.  She was 2 years old and, from what i understand, an abandoned dog.  Misty passed away a month ago tomorrow.  She was over 11 years old.  It's funny to see her pictures over the years and how much white hair grew on her face.  She was just an old dog and it was her time to go.   My mom took the most care of her and walked her everyday.  I hear that now she still goes walking in the morning, but takes the leash along because she doesn't know what else to carry in her left hand.  I cried that day.  See below.  I always told my mom that I would get a little worried when I'd get phone calls from her in the morning because I thought it'd be bad news about Misty (also called Bista).  I didn't find out until after school that day. Voc didn't want me to have a bad day at work and graciously waited until the school day was over.  I was so sad.  I miss that dog and it's still sad to go home and not have a dog in the backyard.


One day while looking through some family photo albums, Ryan saw a picture of us kiddies tearing up a phone book.  I told him that since my family was so poor, that was how my parents entertained us.  Kids love to rip things up, right?  Well, not too long ago, someone left a gift of phonebooks on Ryan's front porch.  We decided to make a date of it.  This is the aftermath.  I think Ryan is still finding paper under his bed.






2 comments:

Kara said...

Hey girl! I love the PROM pics! You look hot and that's awesome that you can still wear the same dress you wore your junior year. I chaperoned an 8th grade dance when I was dating Chris. I had to take him to prove that I wasn't a lesbian PE teacher (ha ha)! It was a lot of fun to see all the kids all dressed up and being so well behaved. Sorry about your dog! Any new date for the wedding yet? My blog is private now, so I e-mailed you an invite to read it. If you didn't get it, let me know and I'll send it again. Take care.

Sally said...

Fitting into your same prom dress 11 years later! Awesome! I don't think you could get any cuter, either. Well, maybe if you used an eyeliner pencil and added some freckles...