CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Daddy-O

On the second Saturday of every month, downtown Sacramento has what they call "Sacramento Second Saturday."  Pretty creative, I know.  It's one day a month where downtown shops are open later and local artists get to show off their stuff.  Ryan and I decided to check it out since we'd heard positive things about it.  We went in and out of a lot of shops, but nothing really caught our attention.  Wait, there was that one bra exhibit.  That was pretty neat.  Anyway, this outdoor art show is on two main streets in downtown Sac.  There are some little shops on the side streets which we didn't want to neglect so we checked those out as well.   One of the side street shops we went into advertised itself as a "Music and Radio Museum."  We are fans of both music and radio so we went inside.  The walls were covered with old concert posters and other promotional items.  Radio is special to me because it's the medium through which my parents met.  Yes, it's true.  Whether you think it's Tesla or Marconi who invented the radio, I'll let you decide.  Either way, I have someone to thank for bringing my parents together.  Anyway, my dad used to work for KXOA in his younger days.  He was a DJ when DJs used to actually know about the music they were playing.  It wasn't all run by computers in those days.  So the "Music and Radio Museum" we went into is also a recording studio by day.  We walked into one of the small recording studio rooms and lying on the desk I saw a binder of sorts flipped open and the letters KXOA jumped out at me.  Underneath those letters I saw old pictures of their DJs.  I put 2 and 2 together and went on a hunt for my dad's pictures.  With the help of one Tom Buck, we located a picture of rockin' DJ Dick Lawrence.  That was my dad's radio name.  Mr. Tom Buck remembered my dad when he was on the radio and shared a couple anecdotes with us.  So, down below you can see the picture of my dad when he was in his heyday.  What a hottie.






There are four links in the above post.  Do they show up?  I'm afraid that they don't.  Please let me know.  Thanks!

1 comments:

garcias said...

Hey I can't believe that is your dad. Actually I can. He looks great.