CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Creativity?

As a dedicated member of my ward at church, I recently attended the monthly enrichment activity. For those that don't speak "mormon," it's a once a month activity where the women of the ward get together to be "enriched." There's usually food and some sort of craft involved. So, I had planned on going to this Christmas enrichment and had received an email or two about it. I didn't read the email too closely though... well, I did, but by that time it was too late.

After a yummy dinner of fajitas with Ryan, here's what I discovered in the email about what enrichment would entail: Dinner, ornament exchange, dessert potluck. Ok, so I wouldn't be eating dinner because I was stuffed. Strike one. Ornament exchange? Ryan and I scrounged around the apartment looking for something we could "turn into" an ornament. No such luck. Strike two. Dessert potluck. Now I knew I could whip up something quickly (seriously I had about 5 minutes and no time to stop by the store). Ryan opened the fridge, bless his heart, and suggested I take some leftover pumpkin puff (a cousin of the much loved pumpkin pie), but it was in tupperware and I couldn't make it look presentable like that. I didn't have time to cook/bake anything so I had to get creative. Hostess cupcakes? Nah. Too elementary school lunch-ish. Butterfinger bars? Nope. Too Halloweeny. Chocolate covered cherries? Perfect! I had happened to purchase a box that week when grocery shopping. I got out a pie dish, placed them in and filled in the many gaps with some much loved hard Christmas candy. It was no Martha Stewart, but it fit the bill. It was a dessert.

I felt a little sheepish bringing it, but Ryan insisted I blog about it because one day I'll look back and laugh at it. I was actually laughing at myself as I walked out the door to enrichment. And I learned to pay closer attention to those emails.



5 comments:

Sheila Rae said...

You can up as a school enrichment on Google Alerts for your candy story that is so funny. I speak to school on healthy eating, so I have an alert.

I thought it was cute. No church friends would ever turn away a empty handed soul and if they did that would be horrible. Have a lovely holiday.

Sheila Rae
Bizzy Lizzy Bakery.com

Sheila Rae said...

I also should read my comments over more closely. I was the "typo queen" in this one. Too early and half a sleep I suppose. It is still a cute story. Have a great one.

Will Rhea said...

What's a Ward? :)

EY Thrift Store said...

I forgot a dessert and an ornament.......but I did't eat dinner. Two strikes for me, too.

Sally said...

Before I read your whole blog I thought it was a tray of olives and Christmas candy. You should try that next time! It's too bad we don't get "enriched" with money when we go!